This pie recipe is really just a simple adaptation on the ever-popular Perfect Apple Pie Recipe. It uses the same simple crust options I always use. The easy-peasy pie dough is my recipe that I always use, and the other “my mom’s” is a healthier version that I grew up on. Either can be modified for vegan diets by replacing the butter, and different flours can be used for particular allergies or diets. Almond flour works very nicely, along with whole wheat for example.
The combination of butter & oil is used as a healthier modification to most pie crust recipes to cut the amount of butter down, however the butter does give the crust a flaky, light consistency, which you will not get using only oil, so do keep this in mind when finding a butter substitute.
Easy-Peasy Pie Crust My Mom’s healthy version
4 cups – unbleached white flour 2 Cups unbleached white flour
½ cup Butter – unsalted 2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup Olive Oil ¼ cup wheat germ
Ice water ½ cup butter – unsalted
¼ cup Olive Oil
To make to pie crust
1. Measure Flour into a large bowl
2. Cut butter into cubes and add to the flour – chilled, straight from the fridge works best.
3. Using your hands, or a pastry cutter, break the butter up in the flour until the pieces are pea sized and even in the mixture.
4. Making a well in the center of the mixture, pour in olive oil, and blend in using hands or pastry cutter.
5. The mix should be moist enough to hold together when a ball is formed. Add 1 spoonful of ice water to the mixture at a time, until this is possible. The water will cook off in the oven, leaving a flaky, delicious crust.
6. Split the mixture into 2 equal parts and form into tight even balls.
Set these aside.
2 pints blueberries (washed and cleaned of stems and leaves)
You can also substitute a mix or raspberries & blackberries instead of blueberries.
1 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
2 Tsp Cloves
To make the filling
1. Wash berries and remove all stems and leaves.
2. Add the lemon juice, honey and spices and mix well.
Making the pie
1. Preheat the oven to 375*F
2. Place one ball of dough on a large piece of wax paper, saran wrap, or tinfoil. Press the ball flat and roll out to a large circle, using a rolling pin or smooth bottle.
3. Flip the dough over onto a 9” baking dish and peel wax paper/saran/foil off.
4. Fill with apple mixture. berries will cook down considerably, so don’t be afraid to make a large mound in the pan.
5. Roll out second ball of dough in the same way.
6. Cut dough into long 1.5” wide strips. Working in a basket weave design (overlapping strips – over and then under each other) until the pie is covered.
7. Using your 3 middle fingers, crimp the edges of the pie dough together.
8. Dust the top of the pie with a bit of cinnamon & cloves
9. Bake for about an hour, until crust is golden brown.