Fall Harvest Soup: Kale, White Bean & Sweet Potato
Ingredients (serves 6)
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, skin on, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1/2 bunch kale, about 4 cups loosely packed
1 cup dry white cannelli beans
8 cups homemade vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2lb hot italian sausage
1/4 tspn red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
1. fill a large pot with cold water. Add dry cannelli beans and let sit over night until tender. drain and rinse.
2. in a large pot over high heat, add olive oil, saute until soft. Add sweet potato, cannelli beans and vegetable stock and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer until sweet potato and beans are tender but still crunchy (about 25 minutes).
3. meanwhile, in a frying pan, cook sausages. slice and set aside
4. Skim the starch (grey foam) off of the soup. add salt, pepper.
5. Turn off heat and stir in kale
6. spoon soup into a bowl and top with a few pieces of sausage.